Author Topic: Dome-RV Hybrid: Flying Under the Radar  (Read 3388 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dome-RV Hybrid: Flying Under the Radar
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
I have come up with a new concept incorporating my 2 favorite Shelter methods, Bugout Machines and Domes.  8)

In this concept, the Dome serves as a Shelter for the BM, and the BM has the kitchen and bathroom facilities.

In this design, I utilized the 28' Tri-Dome to create 3 "Docking Stations" for your RV or Trailer.  A small "Pop-Up" type trailer can be used for this, long as it has the Kitchen stuff and Bathroom Stuff.

On either side of the Docked BM, you get 2 Bedrooms, or a bedroom and office, however you want to lay it out.  The Loft area is set up a s a Living Room in this Layout, with a Couch, Chairs and Big Screen LCD TV from China.  ;D  Seriously, setting it up more as a Dining/Work Space would probably be the choice.

You could extend the length of the Augments with the concrete Wall Building techniques to provide security for your entire vehicle assembly.

The rules you work under here is as an RV Park, and you provide full Hook-Ups for the RVs for Water, Sewage and Electric.  The only difference from the typical RV Park is that the parking spaces are covered with a Dome.  So they fit under the category of Garages, not Domiciles.  This should allow you to skate around the building codes for Domiciles.  The "housing" is actually mobile housing, so you are fitting in with the Tiny House people by making it rolling and mobile.

The Renter of the Unit can either provide their own BM, or can rent one in addition to renting the parking spot under the Dome.  The Dome itself could either be Ecoshell in the cheaper alternative, or Monolithic insulated in the more expensive version.

I would estimate a Rental Cost of $100/week or $350/mo for each space.  Rental of an RV with Kitcken/Bathroom another $50/wk if you don't have your own.

For the Rentier who is running this system, very low Maintenance costs, and if one of the RV units you rent gets trashed or malfunctions, you can just replace it easily.  Just pull it out, back in a new one!  Much easier than fixing bathrooms that are set in place!

This combines all the ideas of RV Park, Dome and Bugout Machine into one affordable living arrangement.  It doesn't have to be the only type available on your Sunstead, you can have more Upscale ones also, and downscale units also for people who no longer can afford a car and just need shelter.

Thoughts welcome.

RE

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
Re: Dome-RV Hybrid: Flying Under the Radar
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:05:15 AM »
I think this one is a real killer application.  It allows people to try out dome living without the commitment.  And as an campground it provides a unique experience -- I have not heard of anyone else doing this.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »
If one of these was available up here, I would park my BM there IMMEDIATELY!

The biggest thing stopping me from moving in to my BM is the lack of a good place to park it and being constrained by its size limit inside.  This resolves both problems.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
This idea is growing in me. 

Personally, I'd go for a four-plex again, with those "sleeves" extended so the RV could be driven in front-first (exhaust outwards, in case some idiot starts on up) to give it protection.  Insulation level does not need to be high, since the RV provides additional insulation for sleeping. 

Either a common area or individual storage/living spaces in each quarter.