Author Topic: Dome Promotion  (Read 5734 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dome Promotion
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »

As you can see, I adapted the Famous Photo from the Convocation to reflect DOMES rather than DOOM;D

I also am wondering if we want to start using the large and growing circulation of the Diner to begin promoting the Dome Biz.  I am considering putting up a New Page called Domesteads where we can feature Designs of the Domes we are working on.

At 786K on Alexa, the Diner is now well ahead of websites like The Archdruid Report and approaching the territory of Our Finite World and Clusterfuck Nation.  A new Dome Website will not have such immediate circulation and recognition.

I am pretty sure that by the time Harry mentioned of 6mo-1year for the new Dome Company to get rolling we can get Diner circulation up  to the top of the Doom-o-sphere.  Since the Diner is not Non-Profit, there are no issues with advertising a for-profit company on Diner pages.

We still do need a Name for the company and its own URL.  Suggestions welcome, we had a few over on the Diner a while back but nothing was set on there.  I am partial to Domesteads Inc. but since Harry is lead on this one I think he should pick the name.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dome Promotion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
We won't be ready to go looking for clients until the feasibility study and a few other pieces are in place.  I'm being head-hunted for a director of IT position in Dallas, which would put me conveniently close to MDI and Eddie for developing this business.  Convincing the wife to consider Texas, even on the short term, may be difficult.   Eddie and Anne need to come visit to correct her impression of Texans from the MSM veriosn to what we experienced.

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure Anne's more than willing to come to CA. I will talk to her.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
We won't be ready to go looking for clients until the feasibility study and a few other pieces are in place.  I'm being head-hunted for a director of IT position in Dallas, which would put me conveniently close to MDI and Eddie for developing this business.  Convincing the wife to consider Texas, even on the short term, may be difficult.   Eddie and Anne need to come visit to correct her impression of Texans from the MSM veriosn to what we experienced.

Not talking about looking for clients, just building awareness.  Getting more people thinking about it, planting the seeds.

Setting up in TX has good points (Eddie already there), but you're also in direct competition with MDI down there.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
I'm more concerned with collaboration rather than competition at this stage, and having the experts a few hours away is a powerful asset.  It's in their interest to support groups like ours that have the multiple disciplines to reach out to new target markets.     

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure Anne's more than willing to come to CA. I will talk to her.

We'll be in Cali late August and early September.  I suppose we'll be buying tickets soon.  My cousin is getting married Aug 28th.  I figure on being there for two weeks. 

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »
What I'm finding completely odd is the negativity the dome idea is getting everywhere I see it spreading.

It's not just the Trolls on the Diner determined to try and discourage any sort of sustainable response, even the NBLers, who claim they want to live out life in a minimal-impact hospice, are vehemently opposed to any sort of living arrangement that would reduce energy use.  If a building does not use 21st century level of energy consumption, it's a"coffin" in their eyes.

I have a feeling we won't find many people within the "doom" community to adopt this living arrangement, they are more concerned with bankster bonuses than the survival of their grandchildren. 

I'll work on some promotional ideas that emphasize the defensive nature of the domes and see if we can get traction with the survivalist, anti-government types who are paranoid about another Waco or Ruby Ridge, and hopefully let the idea grow outwards from there.

Offline monsta666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
If you can promote this as a cheap living arrangement that can make the message go far. The issue a lot of people have and it will only get worse as time goes on is that people lack the money to spend a lot on preping. The cheaper this dome idea is to implement the more I can see it gaining traction.

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
What I'm finding completely odd is the negativity the dome idea is getting everywhere I see it spreading.

It's not just the Trolls on the Diner determined to try and discourage any sort of sustainable response, even the NBLers, who claim they want to live out life in a minimal-impact hospice, are vehemently opposed to any sort of living arrangement that would reduce energy use.  If a building does not use 21st century level of energy consumption, it's a"coffin" in their eyes.
I would expect a similar reaction from the permaculture/environmentalist community.  There is a very strong prejudice against concrete.  Now, if you could incorporate hemp into your design...  ;D

One extremely small niche market that might enthusiastically embrace the monolithic dome concept is the space colonization crowd.  They could go for the futuristic look and appreciate the practical benefits. 

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
It seems that sometimes people don't like ideas that make sense.  As far as the NBL crowd is concerned...they're a bunch of depressed crotchety fucks IMO. 

I wish we could just build our own dome community and be done with it. 

I know my first choice is a dome now.  If I ever get the financial means I'll build one, or have one built, for my family.  Because I like the security of not worrying about mother nature fucking my home up (and I realize that she still could, even with a dome, but good luck finding something more mother nature fucking you up proof than a dome). 

I think Domes might just make too much sense to take traction within the American Hologram.  Plus they're round, not square, which goes a long way towards explaining why most people won't consider them.  They're quite literally "square."  Through and through. 

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »

I would expect a similar reaction from the permaculture/environmentalist community.  There is a very strong prejudice against concrete.  Now, if you could incorporate hemp into your design...  ;D

One extremely small niche market that might enthusiastically embrace the monolithic dome concept is the space colonization crowd.  They could go for the futuristic look and appreciate the practical benefits.

Thanks!  Growing up in the UK, I have no problem with stone buildings, although concrete may be linked to the UK equivalent of "projects".  It had not occurred to me that concrete could have a negative image.  I see it as just another building technique.

The emphasis needs to be away from the specific thermal capacity materials we use.

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
The problem is that most people think of "green building" in terms of natural materials and techniques that are easily implemented by DIYer's. They don't get the green aspect of domes, because it's all found on the long term energy use aspect and building longevity.

In other words, it doesn't appeal to New Age touchy-feely types. Like that guy who was going on about cob over on NBL.

Nothing wrong with cob, but my guess is that guy has never built anything out of anything and  has a very misinformed view of what the term green really means.

He doesn't like domes because (a) they don't appeal to his sense of esthetics, and (b) he views them as structures with high embedded energy (the concrete) and noxious chemicals (the foam).

You have to know something to appreciate domes. And on NBL, the fact that RE likes them is enough to make certain assholes pucker anyway.

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
I just chalk it all up to the fact that people are mostly just dumb, or stupid, or ignorant, and always some combination of the three. 

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »
Don't forget mean. Ignorant ,stupid, and mean. That about covers it.

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
Don't forget mean. Ignorant ,stupid, and mean. That about covers it.

You have a point with the mean.  I guess they're mean because they're not happy, and in some state of miserable, and we all know that misery loves nothing more than company.