Author Topic: Staying Positive  (Read 9152 times)

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
Staying Positive
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
I'm sending this out particularly to WHD, LD, and GM, but it might apply to the rest of us as well.

The convocation has now been over for a few weeks. I am noticing one particular phenomenon, and that is an absence of writing about the event on the part of the younger attendees. I know that all of you have busy lives, and that this is the height of the gardening season, so maybe that's most of it.

But I'm worried that, having made this goal of coming together and achieved it now, that the exaltation of the birth of our collaboration has worn off, and that post-partum depression has set in. I know that it's disappointing that we haven't figured out the way forward from here very well, and that the hopes and dreams that led to the convo might
seem like pipe dreams now, in the harsh light of difficult reality.

Daily living isn't easy, and it might be that it seems futile to hope and dream for a better way of living. And now that you've met each other and me, it might seem like those of us in the older generation might be an unlikely group to ever get our shit together or make any magic happen. And this is no doubt true.

However, each of us, in his or her own way, is doing the best we can to figure out a plan. As JMG said in his blog yesterday, those who have come to awareness, and who are taking rational steps to make a future, are the seedbearers for the human race.

Please be patient. Please keep your hopes, dreams and aspirations alive and cooking. As someone once said, "perseverance furthers". Sometimes all you can do is dream what you want to see  and what you want to be. But please don't discount the power of those dreams. They are a powerful force for good in the world.

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Staying Positive
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
My assumption was that the convocation acted as a catalyst and individuals are dealing with change in their lives, and like me, are swamped with things to do and decisions to make.  One thing that was clear to me was that domes tend to have a hard time getting planning permission, so I am learning the building regulations so our designs meet code.  I don't want to be limited in market to just where there are no building regulations.   

Working on a formal business plan for the company is taking some time, although most of it is marketing language, and it will provide a basis for the content of the web site, when developed.  Marketing won't really be able to take off until the 3D model and "fly-though" of the domes is complete, the guy I hired for that is visiting next weekend. 

I've pretty much specified out the costs for the dome shell, met with one of the directors of Barrier Roofing and got the lowdown on the challenges of applying the foam afterwards, and the market for outer covers.  I'm still working on internal costs for various models, and a materials list for the three "Quarter-dome build-outs, the half-dome apartment and the full dome home on the standard 37.  I've chosen that size so that apartments meet IRC2009 and IBC2009 code.

I got home to find my home office gutted and redecorated, the walls freshly floated and painted, a new beer fridge, new lighting, etc.  A nice surprise for me and part of the wife's plan to get the most for the house when we sell, hopefully soon.

My biggest challenge is getting everything down on paper.  The programmer who may spearhead the software I discussed needs flowcharts.  The marketing spiel needs creation.  Specifications for the "appropriate technology bay" built into all the designs and the "centralized hot water storage" which I plan to be the default, since that has the greatest savings for the owner in a rental-with utilities provided" model.  Sample project plans for a hypothetical development written.  I'm currently going through each step of the building plan looking for ways to minimize cost and reduce on-site time that does not require high technology with a construction target of six weeks from breaking ground to ready for occupancy, up to four domes a week. 

It's daunting.  Sometimes I think it would be easier to bury my head in the sand and go on collecting a paycheck at my day job and pretend there's not a juggernaut of change heading our way.  But I'm making progress and taking advantage of the what I learned I did not know" from the course. 

I'm looking forward to you, LD and GM visiting later this summer - hopefully people do not wait until the end of August. 

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
I know you're kicking ass, H. You are so directed, and I fully expect you to achieve your dome building goals.

I'm moving forward on the aquaponics project, and if it doesn't get so hot I can't stand it, I'll get the current projects at the stead completed sometime in early summer.

I have found a fabric similar to Monolithic's air form that one company (FarmTek) will custom cut to make a 15 year vinyl cover for the greenhouse, effectively turning it into a warehouse. I'm planning to do that to 2/3 of it and cover the rest with clear plastic. That will give me 24x24 for growing in my aquaponics beds, and that's a good size for me to experiment with on passive cooling. My new mentor Donald is able to heat his greenhouse solely using those pool heater panels like you have. he just heats the water, which has the thermal mass to do the rest. I will try that next winter. The challenge is cooling.

The rest of the greenhouse will be storage, until I can build a better barn at some point. It seems like a reasonable way to deal with my needs for storing equipment.

Looking forward to a visit. I will come before August! I'll touch base when I figure out when. Thanks for checking in. Got the thank you card from you and Bert. That scored points with the missus.  ;D

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
Thanks, Eddie.

I've ordered one of the quick shot concrete sprayers and I'd like to trade you some basalt mesh if you picked up a roll.  I will try and talk the wife into a weekend in Texas in the next month or so; we have a friend we haven't seen in a while doing a course in Arlington.  I may see if I can take her to MDI to see some domes.

Hopefully We showed the wife that the resilient community are not just crazy, antisocial survivalists, we have a wide variety of crazy. 

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
Hehehe.

That guy never sent my mesh. I'm guessing he lost the order or forgot about it. Been meaning to call. Need to check my CC account.

I will call and order some more.

Give me a review of the quick shot. I still intend to buy one. I just need to get my big air compressor online out at the stead. It's in storage.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
I think there are many factors in play here.

The nonsense which went on with the Trolls on the Diner brought everybody down.  It remains quite difficult to get this site going without the Magic Letter.  While Harry appears to be working hard on getting a Dome Company off the ground, there's nothing real tangible there yet either.  LD came home to find a couple of clients backed out and the plans to move to Asheville were put on hold.  WHD is bizzy with side jobs and spring gardening tasks.

Main thing I think though is we still don't have a "Home Base".  The Toothstead was great to visit, but it's just Eddie's place.  SUN remains Homeless.   Maintaining Positive Spirits without a Home is hard.

RE

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »
Looking forward to a visit. I will come before August! I'll touch base when I figure out when.

Let me know when you are heading for CA.  Now that I am not going to AoL, I have time for a different trip.

RE

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »
Looking forward to a visit. I will come before August! I'll touch base when I figure out when.
Let me know when you are heading for CA.  Now that I am not going to AoL, I have time for a different trip.
I was wondering if you were still planning on going to the Age of Limits, RE... Is anybody else planning on going?  I would love to go, but my mom just got her knee done, and I am the primary caregiver for her and my dad, so I seriously doubt I will be able to get away for the weekend.  I will have to see how she is doing by May 17th, the deadline for preregistration, to see if I will go.

Offline Surly1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »

I was wondering if you were still planning on going to the Age of Limits, RE... Is anybody else planning on going?  I would love to go, but my mom just got her knee done, and I am the primary caregiver for her and my dad, so I seriously doubt I will be able to get away for the weekend.  I will have to see how she is doing by May 17th, the deadline for preregistration, to see if I will go.

I had thought to go, as I have been planning for three years now, but something always intervenes. So I will not be going this year either.

It remains difficult to remain positive in the face of the malign spirits and endless ad hom of the Sewer board, which I have taken to avoiding lest I open a vein. Only thing I know to do is to keep doing what we've always done, and to persevere. Plus some of you are well on your way to putting meat on the bones of something wonderful.

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
I decided not to go to AOL. I would have liked to, but I have too many other priorities right now.

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
I'm not planning on going this year, way too many projects going one, plus with people planning on visiting California, I want to keep vacation time open.

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
We won't be going to the Aol conference either.  GM has a wedding to shoot that weekend. 

We are not moving to Asheville...at least that's the way it looks now.  My partner is acting shady, and as RE mentioned we had two clients back out.  I'm not sure what the cuss is going on, but I'm supposed to meet with Taylor mid may to talk about it. However, GM and I have pretty much realized that leaving here would be stupid.  We have no monthly bills having a paid for living arrangement with government money paying the utilities.  Leaving that behind would not be wise.  This arrangement allows us to home school our children and not have to worry about the rat race.  It allows us to do what our hearts desire is.  I'm not giving that up. 

I'm looking at ways to make money with bamboo (split bamboo fencing) and value added ferments (hotsauce, kraut, alcohol) at this point.  I've also taken to making mayonnaise from backyard chicken eggs.   I thought of a cool business name for my own venture today "PermaMuddlin'."  At least that's what I do. 

Eddie, GM and I have had a lot of family drama since we've been back.  The "Whoville Chronicles" managed to continue.  You seriously can't make this shit up...the trailer park drama that my wife's family insists on creating.  Basically my mother in law showed up yesterday and spit vile words and actions in front of our children.  Cussing, trying to break our storm door, and all other manner of ridiculous, backwoods, trailer park, hillbilly, dirt neck drama.  The end result is that GM has disowned her mother and sister, as they have done her, and I have stated that my mother in law is no longer allowed to be around my children.  I was seconds away from calling the cops yesterday due to her mother.  Anyways, she got beat with a cat of 16 tails by her father and likely raped by him as well while she was growing up (mother in law), so what can you expect from that type of psyche? 

So between the family crazy drama, the business falling apart before it got started, and the post convocation depression I haven't felt like writing, or the internet. 

Which, there is another layer to my internet distance lately.  I was not online for the three weeks of the convocation trip.  Nor was GM.  I got used to it, and liked it greatly.  Plus GM's computer got knocked offline by some windows 8 clusterfuck...apparently it's some type of sign in startup bug that deletes everything on your computer.  I don't understand it, but I'm sure Harry could explain.  Anyways, we've been knocked down to one computer online due to that.  We got it fixed, and realized we were better off as a family with only one computer capable of pluggin' in to the Matrix.  I really don't care to be online any longer...just to communicate with yall mostly...and to blog here and there and to read blogs. 

I have plenty of faith that we're going to get real life goals accomplished together here.  I know H and Berticus are capable of real magic...I saw them work it.  I've decided that my career is going to be that of a Buddhist minded Shamanistic Druid Magician, with an expressed goal of being present for my boys and my beautiful wife.  I said the other day that what I was doing was simply being present for my family.  I'm going to be present and work magic as a living.  Fuck what society thinks.  Anyways I'm an Apsie...and proud of it at this point.  Neurotypicals are fucked (except for the ones I love  :D  ).

I plan on writing a blog soon, about something.  In a way, I've got so much to write about that I'm all jammed up.  So much has happened in the last month, and especially the last week. 

I now consider everybody at the convocation to be part of my tribe...part of my family.  Even RE.   :P

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:30 AM »
I now consider everybody at the convocation to be part of my tribe...part of my family.  Even RE.   :P

I'm the Crazy Uncle the Tribe tolerates because he is Funny and has an upwardly mobile Alexa Ranking.  ;D

RE

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »
I'm the Crazy Uncle the Tribe tolerates because he is Funny and has an upwardly mobile Alexa Ranking.  ;D

Nailed it.

Thanks for checking in, LD. Makes me feel better. Now if William would pop in, I'd be happy.

Offline Gypsymamba

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
I miss you guys!!!!!!! :)  :-* :'(

Yes, yes...lots of changes going on in our lives here in SC.  I'm doing really well after the family upset that my Mother unleashed upon us.  I feel as if I've been set free.  A lot of truth came out of her mouth.  Truths I didn't expect.  I wrote about it on The Butterchurn if you guys want more details about it...

The Convocation was a a MAGICAL experience for me.  I DO plan to write about it.  I have been on quite the spiritual journey since TX. 

Eddie, I have not forgotten about your photos ;)  I've been able to pick up a little work this month, so I've had to put aside the fun work and do some work for money.  I can't wait for you to see some of the things I saw through my camera out at the Toothstead :)

If anyone else wants a copy of my photos from the convocation, just PM me your mailing address ;) 

I feel energized and am more hopeful than ever that we'll be able to accomplish great things together...even though I am a bit sad that we're not together in the present.