Author Topic: Dome Storage Units  (Read 2967 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dome Storage Units
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:18:33 AM »
Brainstorm!

A way to gain experience building Ecoshells creating a Turn-key Bizness.

Storage Units are Ubiquitous, I love them.  I still maintain my unit in MO where I store my car and flotsam from my life down in the Lower 48.  It is 10x20' and costs me $75/mo.

Like all storage units though, it is a Metal Building which turns into Razor Blades in a Tornado.  So no very secure protection for my stuff if one drops down in Springfield like the one that dropped down the road a ways  in Joplin.

Here below is a design using the 36' Ecoshell I used for the Garages and Greenhouse combo unit for the Dome Community.  Each Dome has 8 Units, 4 big ones and 4 smaller ones.  Dimensions are estimated.

Now, besides being Tornado resistant and more secure from break in, these units are also possible to Climate Control much cheaper than the Metal Buildings.

Because it is Ecoshell , you can do the 4 additional cut-aways for the 4 additional access points necessary.  Each of the Units has an additional Loft area for more storage besides the Ground Floor.  Access to the Loft area by Ladder.

Based on current prices in Springfield, MO, a climate controlled SU the size of the large units would get around $150/mo rent.  Add the Tornado-resistance and security aspects, you could charge a $30 premium easy I think.  So call rent on these units $180/mo.  Rent on the smaller units, half that at $90/mo.  So, fully occupied as SUs, each Dome brings in around $1080/mo or around $12K/year.  The building is paid off in under 5 years EZ.

Since it is not designed for Residential Occupancy, you don't have all the building codes you have to meet for that.  Beauty is, AFTER TSHTF, the units could easily be transformed into Housing!  To prepare for that, when you build you add in the conduits for electric & water, but don't actually hook them up.

Go to the Oklahoma Town recently Flattened by a Tornado and put up 4 of these Storage Units, and you will instantly rent out all of them.

This is even easier and cheaper to get into than the Motel paradigm.  These days, what person in Tornado Alley who currently uses a Storage Unit would not want to shift over their stuff to our Tornado-Proof SUs, for just a slight additional charge?  We will take over the Storage Unit bizness in no time!

RE
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:20:41 AM by RE »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dome Storage Units
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Nobody likes this idea?  :'(

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
Lol, sorry, been busy.

The "standard dome" I've been using is 1,075 square feet.  A central corridor (4' including walls) takes out 148, leaving 927 square foot, or about 460 usable per side.  Total of 6 x 150 sq foot units, or 8 x 110 sqf (lose some for walls) and you're still using the same airform. A slight loss of space for a set of stairs and you can add 500 more square feet on a second floor, making it 9-12 storage units.   

Same design works for an indoor food growing facility.

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
I like the concept, but the numbers aren't thrilling me.  You've got some mighty optimistic assumptions in there: full occupancy, no delinquencies, 0% financing, no maintenance costs (the domes might not have any, but how about the driveways?), no taxes, no insurance, no legal fees.... Under those assumptions a 5 year payoff is not very exciting.  Still, with the kind of lifespan a dome should have, could be very worthwhile.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
I like the concept, but the numbers aren't thrilling me.  You've got some mighty optimistic assumptions in there: full occupancy, no delinquencies, 0% financing, no maintenance costs (the domes might not have any, but how about the driveways?), no taxes, no insurance, no legal fees.... Under those assumptions a 5 year payoff is not very exciting.  Still, with the kind of lifespan a dome should have, could be very worthwhile.

Well, Storage Units are clearly a good Bizness Model, because they have popped up all over the country like Buboes in a Plague.  One suspects as more people get foreclosed on, they drop their stuff into storage units.

The only difference here is the Cost Difference between the standard model of Metal Buildings vs the cost of the Domes.  I don't know how big that cost difference is overall, or whether people will/can pay the Premium for the more Secure form of storage.  In terms of Lifespan though, the domes have it all over the metal buildings, they will be still up in 50 years, where the metal buildings will have rusted through.

RE