Author Topic: The Convocation Ends  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
The Convocation Ends
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
LD and GM and the boys hit the road for home early this morning, bringing a final closing to the first SUN Convocation.

For an event planned and attended by people who had never met one another in the real world, I sure saw a lot of heartfelt goodbyes over the last several days. Lots of great hugs, and more than a few tears at parting. I hope and believe that the youngest attendees, LD and GM's two boys, will have some good memories of living out on the stead for this last week that they will carry with them through life.

I'd like to take a moment to to thank everyone who was able to come, and to thank those who made it possible for others to attend through gifts of money for travel.

Thanks to GM for adding her feminine touch to the cabin and surroundings. I'm looking forward to seeing all your photographic work. Thanks to LD for building my grey water catchment pond and the hugelkulture bed this week while I was drilling and filling. Sorry you lost your wedding ring in there, but it adds a buried treasure for someone to find someday, perhaps long after all of us are gone.

Thanks to Harry and Bert, for coming, and for giving us a reason (or an excuse) to come together for the dome course.

Thanks to RE for...well, for being himself, warts and all. You are the catalyst around which all this grows. I don't understand it completely, but you're central to this having happened. Keep up the podcasts and writing. Keep up the shameless promotion.

Thanks to William for the gifts, and for showing us how to dance totally without fear or self-consciousness, with every fiber of our beings.

Thank you to those who couldn't come, but took the time to make positive comments on the Diner in spite of relentless troll attacks. I wan't expecting those, but I get the lesson there, I think. Doing more than talking, actually making real steps toward building community, even small steps, threatens some people whom I'd thought of as friends. Call it jealousy, call it spite, whatever. There is negative energy trying to stop us. We just have to keep working toward our goals and not let it bother us too much.

This meeting has been a big learning experience for yours truly, and it will take me a while to assimilate the information. Right now, I'd just like to sign off.  I heard a friend say after one particularly tearful goodbye, "I get so emotional."

Me too.

Offline Surly1

• View Profile
Re: The Convocation Ends
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
Thanks for hosting the convocation. I am sorry I could not attend, but it just wasn't in the cards, for a number of reasons.

Your assessment of what has gone on over at the DD forum seems apt, albeit surprising, at least from some quarters. But you are correct to remind that we all need to keep facing towards the goal, and to stay positive.

Here's hoping the convo was not a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Offline monsta666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
Focus on the good rather than the negative. What we found recently is that now you have a better idea on who stands were when it comes to supporting community. In some ways it is better things worked out the way it did because now you know who trust when it comes to things of greater importance. If you ever consider hosting another convocation please drop me a line as soon as you know as I would consider attending. Going forward the issue for me is more about time than money. Also if certain members require funding for their trips I am willing to pitch in an amount to reduce the burden on you and RE. Give me some notice (and account details) as I would do this via bank transfer.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »
The Convocation was great!  I kind of feel like I have known Eddie my whole life, just we never met until now.  We'll do another one I am sure.  Next one even better!

I look at what is going on with the Diner Forum vs what went on at the Convocation as a Yin & Yang situation.  I'm going to write about it more at length tonight.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
I really enjoyed myself at both the convocation and the monolithic course.  I'm glad LD, GM and the boys managed to stay a few more days, the place is beautiful.   

It's going to take a few weeks to absorb and reflect on all we learned, then we'll be planning the next stage, which is building a dome.  Whether that is the first of a hundred rental units, or a retreat on the toothstead remains to be seen, but I'm confident we're going to use what we learned - both from MDI and from each other. 

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
I really enjoyed myself at both the convocation and the monolithic course.  I'm glad LD, GM and the boys managed to stay a few more days, the place is beautiful.   

It's going to take a few weeks to absorb and reflect on all we learned, then we'll be planning the next stage, which is building a dome.  Whether that is the first of a hundred rental units, or a retreat on the toothstead remains to be seen, but I'm confident we're going to use what we learned - both from MDI and from each other.

I got depressed when we got home.  I wasn't expecting that.  There is something I resonate with very strongly in living out of a minivan, a tailor made modern part time Roma bug out machine.  State park campgrounds, and sometimes privately owned RV style camp grounds.  We stayed in some interesting places.  Browders Marina in BFE Texas...that was a trip.  We almost paid 30 bucks to set up a tent that was literally under a Texas highway bridge down by the river. 

Roosevelt state park in Mississippi was my favorite camp site.  We actually camped there on the way back, for the second stay, just because it was so beautiful on that lake side campground.  There is something about the magic in the Mississippi woods that I like.  Something in the way the wind blows through the trees, and the turtles and egrets...I think...big ass white bird that glides just above the surface of the water as it hunts for fish. 

The Convocation was thick with magic.  I was literally sleeping in magic while I was at the Toothstead.  I have many experiences to write about from staying there.  A part of me I wasn't consciously aware of asserted itself into my consciousness.  The shaman.  William helped with that.  I guess I'm a Buddhist minded shaman druid now.   ;D

I wonder what the next funky hat will look like?  Although I don't wear hats any longer.  At least not much.  I wear a cowboy hat from time to time now. 

I think I like sky clad the best.  With cowboy boots on.  Yall should have seen Wendy walking down that Texas limestone creek bed with nothing but cowboy boots and jewelry on.  The whole affair lit by a full moon.  You should have heard those claps of thunder just before the sky broke loose with rain, from the McCarty tent at the Toothstead.  Or heard the 30 mph winds from inside the trailer once the Diners had all left.  At least 30 mph wind with large rain drops coming in sideways and bouncing off of the roof. 

The most magical moment for me, was the fox.  William, Ayden and I were on the top of the bluff, all doing our own shamanistic thing, when I realized I couldn't see Ayden any longer.  I moved to where I had last seen him, and just as I saw him, a fox took off running across my path.  Apparently Ayden was communing with the fox, it couldn't have been more than 5 feet from him. 

Magic...lots of it...in real life. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:42:52 AM »
Can't wait to read the Blogs and see Wendy's pic choices!

RE