Author Topic: What is Community?  (Read 14482 times)

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is Community?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
I see the main value of the Diner as the blog rather than the forum.  It brings together quite a few disparate threads of potential stressors on our society.  But I don't need a daily discussion on the implications of every new abuse by some elected official, or the real impact of the oil and gas industry finding a new dinosaur fart that they claim will power us for a billion years.  I'll add the occasional observation on the blog comments over there.

My focus is on developing mitigating strategies and making those both affordable and attractive to Joe  six pack.  Hence the SUN board is where I'll be spending my time.  The trolls had their chance to shit or get off the pot.  Instead they decided to start flinging instead of flushing.  With all the projects on my plate, I've no longer any time for munching popcorn. 

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
My focus is on developing mitigating strategies and making those both affordable and attractive to Joe  six pack.  Hence the SUN board is where I'll be spending my time.  The trolls had their chance to shit or get off the pot.  Instead they decided to start flinging instead of flushing.  With all the projects on my plate, I've no longer any time for munching popcorn.
I basically agree with you on this one.  To put it more succinctly, the way I see the natural division between the Diner and the SUN forum, the Diner is for problems, SUN is for solutions.  It's good to keep an eye on the problems developing from time to time, but like driving a car, you don't stare at your dashboard gauges, most of the time you look at where you want to go.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
The new rules and the anti-Diner have basically put a stop to the nonsense going on, so it really isn't any different than this forum, just there is more stuff in the archives.

I am going a bit nuts here having to check all these different forums for latest posting.  Can we get them all on feeds to a single page for checking?

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
There's no plug-in for grabbing feeds from multiple databases.  They can be configured for rss feeds to firefox.

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
What is community?  That is a good question, especially coming from an American perspective.  I say that because America seems to be about the destruction of community.  Having completely destroyed it's own community it goes out and destroys whatever functioning communities it can...with drones. 

Where does free speech fit in to all of this?  Free speech to do what?  Be contrarian as an attempt to fill a void created by your own personal failings?  I think that's what trolls do.  They are called trolls for a reason.  What does the mythical troll do?  He stays under a bridge and demands payment for allowing passage.  He's lonely under that purposeful bridge.  He wants to slow people up, foul up their plans, and have company in his misery.  I don't have time for trolls.

We think of free speech as a "right" protected by the "bill of rights."  At least in the U.S.  There is another dimension to "free speech."  In a group of friends free speech can destroy your friendships.  You have the ability to say whatever the hell you want whenever you want to say it in any group, and then you also have the freedom to be shunned, exiled, and banned as a repercussion.  Go tell it to the trees in your exile.  I think any issues should be addressed, and that is the right that should be protected in a community.  Everyone should feel free to bring up anything for discussion, and that's what should be protected.  Not the right to say whatever mean spirited thing one wants just for a rise.  That is what trolls do. 

I have a feeling that free speech has become more complicated than it needs to be.  It's important to hold individual grievances safe in an effort to foster whole health.  Every voice should be heard and addressed by the elders of a group.  By the group as a whole.  What I see happening on the Diner seems to be a distortion of free speech.  If the goal of opening your mouth is to simply entertain yourself by causing derision, than you should be shunned.

However, where online discourse is concerned, it's a lot simpler than all of that IMO.  We all know a troll when we see one.  When we see one, it should be addressed with extreme prejudice, because a troll is nothing but a waste of time and a fee for crossing.  I have no desire for either. 

Offline Eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
LD lives!

Are you home?

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
LD lives!

Are you home?

yeah, we got home Sunday around 1800 hrs. 

We were ready to be home.  I tried convincing Wendy that we should take another week and do some hiking, but the kids would have likely drove us bonkers. 

I'm very impressed with how they both did.  Camping from a minivan with an 11 month old and an almost 4 year old, while trying to make time driving, is challenging.  But we still managed to enjoy it. 

Offline Surly1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »

We think of free speech as a "right" protected by the "bill of rights."  At least in the U.S.  There is another dimension to "free speech."  In a group of friends free speech can destroy your friendships.  You have the ability to say whatever the hell you want whenever you want to say it in any group, and then you also have the freedom to be shunned, exiled, and banned as a repercussion.  Go tell it to the trees in your exile.  I think any issues should be addressed, and that is the right that should be protected in a community.  Everyone should feel free to bring up anything for discussion, and that's what should be protected.  Not the right to say whatever mean spirited thing one wants just for a rise.  That is what trolls do. 

I have a feeling that free speech has become more complicated than it needs to be.  It's important to hold individual grievances safe in an effort to foster whole health.  Every voice should be heard and addressed by the elders of a group.  By the group as a whole.  What I see happening on the Diner seems to be a distortion of free speech.  If the goal of opening your mouth is to simply entertain yourself by causing derision, than you should be shunned.

However, where online discourse is concerned, it's a lot simpler than all of that IMO.  We all know a troll when we see one.  When we see one, it should be addressed with extreme prejudice, because a troll is nothing but a waste of time and a fee for crossing.  I have no desire for either.

QOTM nominee.

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »
I have a hard time around other people's kids.  It's not that I don't like them (although I could never eat a whole one), rather it's not knowing where the boundaries are between "responsible citizenry" and "interfering with others parental rights. 

It was so much easier when I grew up, in a village where everyone knew everyone else.  If I was bad and anyone else saw it, my parents would know.  If one of my neighbors clipped me across the ears for being cheeky, telling my parents would have resulted in the other ear stinging just as sharply.  When I went to school, it truly was en parentis locus, my teachers had all the rights to discipline me as my parents had - and used it more often.

They say it takes a village to raise a child, but that's something few do these days.  A lot of parents will get angry if you as much as shush their child, seeing it as an infringement on their freedom to raise the kid they way they want.  I once witnessed a woman harangued because she lifted a kid down off the shop shelves it was climbing up. 

At the convocation, the kids ran freely because there were multiple eyes on them at all times, and safety was on everyone's mind.  that does not happen in the wider world; when a strangers' kid is misbehaving, I'm watching - with popcorn, as I contemplate where or not the parents look the sort to take offence at "interference".  In a case of real danger my better nature usually wins over prudence, as it did when Eddie almost reversed over RE - I shouted a warning before I completely grasped how much humor we'd have gotten out of the situation.

If Barb's kids every have children of their own, I may get a taste of the 'grandfather" experience to make up for the fact that by the time I was mature enough to be responsible for a child, it was too late to have any of my own.

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
how's it go?

En vino...somethin' somethin truth?  Wendy and I've been tryin' to remember.

And the Ancient and Noble Order of somethin'

sciam?

What a fool you R...I mean who is?

Offline jdwheeler42

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
"In vino veritas" In wine there is truth

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »

Something I've quoted often.  One tends to wear masks, and alcohol tends to drop those inhibitions, or controls, and let the "true face" of a person appear.

Of course, the usual result is a person's face is planted on the table after trying to keep up with a liver bred for British ales....

When you folks visit, you can try real British beer...

:)

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »

Thanks JW.  I agree with that statement btw.  But there is also just fuckin' drunk...which is what I was last night.  I woke up laying on my wife's bikini top, and there were towels strewn about the room...and I don't remember any of it.  I feel cheated.  I seldom get that drunk.  The last time I did was about 3 years ago and I tore my truck up driving around in the woods of my rock hill property drunk on Sambuca. 

So my point is that, while "in wine there is truth," there's also just plan drunker than fuck.  It's hard to get that drunk on beer, even the 8.5% high gravity shit I drink. 

And H, after having drank beer with you on a nightly basis for a week, I'm slightly worried about your welsh liver being able to keep up with my Irish one. 

;D

Mine gets upset with me if I don't give it enough alcohol on a daily basis. 

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »
I quit drinking alcohol for the 36th birthday (except for the stations).  I drink eight times a year now rather than daily.  Just wanted to clarify.