Author Topic: Standard dome Models  (Read 14396 times)

Offline luciddreams

• View Profile
Re: Standard dome Models
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »

Still planning on a trip out to California in the summer?

Yep, my little cousin is getting married on the 28th of August.  I'll be there, as will my family.  I'll commit to 3 nights at the H tribe...with the McCarty family all present.  We'll see what unexplainable shit happens...and go from there. 

Maybe you can get JMG there...for the shenanigans? 

Sciam a foo and shit? 

;D

When is Bert gonna quit bein' a bitch and comment? 

Bert? 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Standard Dome Models-Domestead Quadplex
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
Latest Design Idea, a Quadplex with Shared Ecoshell Garage and Greenhouse.

In this design, instead of dividing up the Standard 28' Dome with 3 Augments into 3 apartments, it is divided into two, attached to a larger 32-36' Ecoshell Garage/Greenhouse.

This design provides much closer to the standard of living of the Middle Class without driving up the cost very much.  By adding a Concrete Fence between garage and house, you get a nice enclosed Garden for kids to play in, BBQ etc.  Or you can add a prefab Toolshed.  Addition of the outdoor fenced area adds about 50% more private living space.

The garage is shared, with Spiral Staircases to access the Greenhouse on the second story.  Greenhouse is a prefab Geodesic of around 30' which is bolted to the Ecoshell which goes up to around 8'.

The entire complex fits on around a 1/4 Acre plot of land.

Basically just 2 Balloons are necessary for all the designs, the 28' with 3 Augments and the 32-36' with 4 Augments.  All the Augments should have the same dimensions so they all match up for doing Box construction between them by conventional building methods.

RE

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Standard dome Models-Community Plan
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:38 PM »
Utilizing the above designs, I laid out a Community with the 2 standard Domes.

You have the bigger Quadplexes on the Outer Ring, with an additional inner ring for the cars exiting the back side of the Garages.  That doesn't need to be paved necessarily.  Additional free standing Garages are for the residents of the Tri-Apartments in the center.  Additional parking spaces can be provided with Carports.

You could get a lot more dense than this, but this seems nice density to me.  Haven't worked out the total acreage necessary, and you would likely have to adapt for terrain features.  This only works in abstract on dead flat midwest landscape.

Total community size from 200-300 residents or so.

RE

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Standard dome Models: Dome Small Tribe
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:40 AM »
This design is for the small tribe utilizing shared vehicles with multiple independent living quarters and shared space.

There are 10 total units, 4 half domes and 6 third domes.  One Garage/Greenhouse for all. 2 Car capacity for all with additional parking by the street.

Total capacity for this unit is about 30 or so.

Domes are connected by Concrete Fences to create the communal area for gardens and provide good security for children to play in.  Fences have access points to be able to get in and out for the units that do not have exterior doorways.

Should fit on 1-2 acres.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
I'm not as concerned about layout of domes in a community, a lot of that will depend on the lay of the land and fitting the community design into the landscape so that it maximizes natural resources. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm not as concerned about layout of domes in a community, a lot of that will depend on the lay of the land and fitting the community design into the landscape so that it maximizes natural resources.

I just did it to get an idea of how many units you would get with a simple loop road system.  Mainly because I found the layout of the MDI rental community so sterile.

RE

Offline H

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »

I just did it to get an idea of how many units you would get with a simple loop road system.  Mainly because I found the layout of the MDI rental community so sterile.

RE

Have to agree on the "sterility" of the layouts at the MDI-owned communities - except the hidden garden one, that seemed better laid out.  The landscaper who put in a few IO-20's also did a reasonable layout.

Building close together reduces costs but also aesthetics.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

Have to agree on the "sterility" of the layouts at the MDI-owned communities - except the hidden garden one, that seemed better laid out.  The landscaper who put in a few IO-20's also did a reasonable layout.

Building close together reduces costs but also aesthetics.

Problem with the Secret Garden was there was no room for Parking.  Only street parking.

Nickle & Diming on the cost of the land is ridiculous.  If you look at the Quadplex for instance, cost of the 2 28' Domes about $30K each and 32' Ecoshell another $40K call it 100K for the buildings.  Say you bought land at $20K/Acre.  You could fit the units on $1/4 Acre for $5000, but it would be nicer on 1/2 Acre for $10K  So it only costs an extra $5K to have nice space.  That is with pretty expensive land too!  If your land comes in at $5K/acre, the cost is insignificant against the building costs.

RE

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Little Bubbles
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2014, 02:39:37 AM »
One thing I did not figure in here in the cost of providing more acreage per unit is the cost of the plumbing and septic system for the community.  You would either have to run lines twice as long or have twice as many systems, either way this would drive up the cost substantially.  Similar with Central Electric.  So you do need to stay as close as possible between units without sacrificing too much in the way of "spaciousness".  In a rural area where each unit had it's own Well and Septic or Humanure collection and Methane Biogen along with Solar PV and Wind Turbines, this would not matter though.

Overall, the MDI community I saw was WAY too close together, plus those rows of grid based housing really smacked of Malvina Reynolds "Little Boxes", just in this case they were "Little Bubbles".

RE